Heslington East Community Archaeology Project

  • Image Corner Mask
  • Image Corner Mask
  • Image Corner Mask
  • Image Corner Mask
  • Image Corner Mask
  • Image Corner Mask

Wednesday 13th April 2011

Today we started machining the site with a 24 tonne excavator operated by the Jagger’s. Progress was speedy on the first of the four areas we want to strip because the archaeology was visible quite quickly, probably under about 40cm of ploughsoil. Some of the areas we stripped looked to have just the right amount of archaeology for us to complete with the students in the next few weeks.

In our second excavation area our first discovery appears to be a prehistoric cremation in an urn, unfortunately it was damaged when we found it but we re-covered it after sampling so that someone could excavate it carefully on the field school. The day was a bit overcast and a biting wind across the hillside made me realise I needed some more layers of clothing on, even in April.

Read more...
1 comment | 13th April 2011, 14:14:31 | Posted by Anonymous | Blog